Monday, September 15, 2008

Multiple Intelligences

I had a three way tie with my multiple intelligences inventory, in the categories of naturalistic, linguistic and intrapersonal strengths, but I’m choosing to focus this blog on the linguistic aspect because I feel it best describes my learning style, being an English major and all. The linguistic strength category means that I have the best understanding of my learning with the spoken and written word. I tend to understand things better if they’re explained verbally, or spelled out for me on paper. I tend to understand concepts better if I write about them – that helps me to understand the way I personally view and understand the concept. Like myself, people with this learning style strength tend to like writing exercises and essays to convey their understanding. I’m the kind of student who will choose an essay exam over a multiple choice test any day because it allows me to best explain my thinking. I also learn well by listening to instructors explaining concepts, and taking notes – the actual act of recording information helps it stick into my head. In my own teaching, this kind of strength will be very easy to work into my teaching, because my subject will be English. In a large part, this means that much of my student’s learning will consist of written assignments (ie. Essays), as well as classroom discussions, where students will be able to discuss their ideas verbally and build on the ideas and views of others through the spoken word. This kind of intelligence is supported by a great deal of technologies, but mainly by the computer. By making the written word easily accessible through the internet, students can learn a wider variety of subjects by reading from their computers than they would be able to in a classroom without one. It also facilitates easier writing, by making the composing of essays easier and faster through typing and word processors. The attention I pay to student’s multiple intelligences within my own classroom could very well determine how well some students do in my class compared to others, simply based on the way they learn. If, for instance, I focused only on the students who learned linguistically, like myself, I would be denying those students whose learning styles are visual, kinesthetic, existential, etc. and not allowing them the advantage of an easier learning environment. By paying attention to these different styles, I can ensure that my students approach their learning from equal ground, and that no student has an unfair disadvantage when it comes to the way they learn.

No comments: